Old
04-10-2012, 04:16 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post
i would say the glue guy of the line is gordie howe.

great thing about howe was that he was a glue guy, puck carrier, sniper, slot man, playmaker, backchecker, etc.

but howe is certainly better used for his offensive skills than for his intangibles. howe usually played with a playmaking C (abel, delvecchio, ullman), but nieuwendyk was more of a goalscoring net man. this could reduce howe's production.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I don't think Howe played with Ullman much, but Ullman was a goal scorer more than a playmaker so your point kind of stands.
While Howe did normally play with a playmaking center, the LW that played alongside them was almost always a goal scorer like Ted Lindsay. Howe actually might have been a better playmaker than a goalscorer, which is almost unheard of for a power forward like him. Combined with the fact that Kariya is a playmaker first that shoots second at left wing, I don't see why the heavily goal-biased Nieuwendyk can't work at center. Howe and Kariya are both capable of being snipers when they want to be, which they will be on occasion. But most of the time, they'll be working their magic between the two and finding Nieuwendyk open in front of the net. All the components are there for Howe to succeed. It's a different composition than the one he had in real life, but for a player as versatile as he is, I don't see why it can't work.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote