View Single Post
Old
04-10-2012, 05:05 PM
Velociraptor
Nucks future 1C??

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
You underrate Jean Beliveau's two-way game. He was a strong checker (see the post about him in the Dink Carroll thread) and was physically strong enough that I don't see Holik having any particular advantage here. Tonelli is more than a decent corner guy; he was probably the best of his generation. Offensively, he's no great shakes on a first line, but his intangibles are very good and shouldn't be questioned. The Holik line is well built to grind down soft scoringlines, but the Beliveau line is not soft, and Kenora's first pairing defensemen aren't either.
Perhaps I am underrating Beliveau's two-way play, but when I had him two years ago, there wasn't much to suggest he was a reputable defensive forward. I know he can hold his own, but I won't buy him as a physical presence nor a policeman. And by decent corner guy I mean he is good at what he does at this level, and puck-winning will not be an issue for the line, I don't think it's a soft line, but it's not a very good defensive line for ATD standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I can't think of a recent center Id want to go head to head against Believeu more than Holik. He made a career out of slowing down big, strong centers. No, he won't dominate Beliveau. But Holik is one of the few centers here that Beliveau won't physically dominate.
I don't think Holik will dominate Beliveau (nor should he have the capability) but I think he is a perfect player to shadow him. Beliveau has no defensive edge over Bobby, and he will be slowed down tremendously and aggravating him to the point where it can result in retaliatory penalties.

Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote