Thread: Face-off Tips?
View Single Post
Old
04-11-2012, 01:31 AM
thedonger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I grip the stick real low (bottom hand like 6 inches from the blade, top hand a couple feet down from the butt end of the shaft) and just pull back real hard with both hands, winning it on the back hand. A key point is to keep your eyes on the puck in the refs hands, as opposed to looking down at the dot, really helps your timing. I win a lot of faceoffs this way, I'm sure I could try to add some other tricks, but this seems to work decently.
i can certainly attest to this. seems so simple yet it's easy to overlook or neglect. i'm not a center, but every once in a blue moon i'll fill in or i'll sub on the dot if the center is having a bad night. went roughly from 1 out of every 10 to over 50% just by doing this.

another thing i started trying is using the body, real popular in upper levels. takes a bit of practice but can be quite effective. as usual, keep your eye on the puck but try to have a peak the opposing center's stick simultaneously. as soon as the ref makes a move, use your stick to block the opposing c's stick as you position your to block him out. if everything goes right, the puck should be a at your feet and you can kick it back to your d.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote