View Single Post
Old
04-11-2012, 11:58 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
It's a bit OT but I disagree with your assessment. Burke's biggest fail is that he thought the Leafs would make the playoffs and pick 15-20 or worse in 2009-10. So he thought he was giving up something like Riley Sheahan (2010 1st #21) + Calle Jarnkrok (2010 2nd #51) + Connor Murphy (2011 1st #20), not Seguin+Knight+Hamilton. That would have been alright for Kessel. He thought he could make the playoffs with Kessel, Toskala, Komisarek and Colby Armstrong plus what they had before (basically Kaberle, Ponikarovsky, Stajan, Blake, Stempniak). That's his biggest fail.

So back to the Habs -- IMO whether to rebuild or not is not the biggest question. Whatever moves the new GM does, he must not **** up on player evaluation. If Plekanec, Gionta and/or Cole are traded away, something useful needs to come back, and that's a much tougher thing to figure out than whether you want to contend or tank next year.
Fair enough. I meant more trading those picks with no track record to suggest playoffs. Because his primary goal was win now, he sacrificed the future and did not win now either.

The reality is, many guys on the habs roster are useful players. For one, Plekanec, even as a 2nd or 3rd line center is very useful due to his two-way play. Cole has tremendous work ethic and I don't remember last time we've seen a powerforward like that. The rest are good leaders but meh.

Reality is, it's about quality, not quantity. If a team would take gionta,kaberle, bourque, cole for a reasonable price I would do it. Many say "oh no, then picks aren't a sure thing". Alright, but you don't always need to use the picks. I'm sure a buy low candidate like chris stewart is available at the right price. He's no star but he's big, physical, young and provides a need on the team. You look across the NHL to other teams needing some leadership or who want to restock with picks. I mean, look at LA, talks are that Brown MAY be available after they got Carter's contract. Even in Buffalo, Vanek may be available.

Now tell me, Stewart, Brown, Pacioretty, Vanek, isn't that a much bigger and more physical winger group? It's not about physicality per se, but it's about having an identity, wtv it is. I personally don't like our mix and there's options out there. If you manage your assets right, you can acquire just about anybody.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote