View Single Post
Old
04-11-2012, 12:27 PM
Heis3nberg

vCash: 500
Ex-goalie needs help in player skates!

Hey everyone. I have played hockey for about 12 years or so, on and off, and have been a goalie for most. I do still play goalie, but am going to start trying out. I've recently started playing out for the first time since I was 12, and had a question about getting skates profiled. I don't know a whole lot about the topic so I apologize if this seems pretty obvious.

The biggest issue I seem to have on the ice is getting used to player skates. I haven't skated on them very often but I seem to have no balance in them, and some difficulty making quick stops and starts. I have a pair of Easton's that I'm trying out (about 4 years old but lightly used). I'm fine skating around but during a game I can't seem to keep up with the constant starts and stops.

My question is, as an ex-goaltender, would I benefit from having my skates profiled to a higher radius, so that it more closely resembles a goalies flat blade? Something along the lines of 13", so that more of the blade is on the ice. To me this makes sense, but was wondering if anyone with more expertise could comment. Also any other advice for a goalie learning to skate in player skates would be appreciated... Thanks!

Heis3nberg is offline   Reply With Quote