Old
04-11-2012, 01:08 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 10000
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Secord has no defensive game to speak of, so you're safe here. But, I wonder if this business about Fleming being "the guy" who checked the other team's greats is based on assumptions, i.e. he was a lesser skilled player, so it must have been his job to check the better players.

Also, I'm not sure how much he'd have been checking Hull, since Hull is a LW too.

Certainly in Chicago, it doesn't look like he was getting much ice time at all, based on his offensive totals. In New York, it seems like he got a bigger role, but it was the Marshall/Goyette/Nevin line that would have been the main checking line, right?
It doesn't make much sense for him to be checking Hull, but from my bio:

Quote:
But when the Hawks played the Red Wings, Fleming was assigned to left wing to check Gordie Howe. When they played the Maple Leafs, he shadowed Frank Mahovlich. Against the Rangers, he skated against Andy Bathgate. After he was traded by the Hawks, he lined up against his old teammate Bobby Hull. His coaches knew he could play the game. He was also a good penalty killer.
Quote:
New York's Reg Fleming is often picked to guard Chicago's mighty Bobby Hull because his similar body helps him to sense and counter Hull's lightning moves.
Quote:
Emile Francis, coach and general manager of the Rangers, chose Fleming to shadow Hull for tonight's game.

Francis said he chose the rambunctious Fleming-the reformed bad boy of the NHL-over Bob Nevin, a strong, two-way player because "in 1962, Hull and Andy Bathgate were battling for the scoring championship and the Hawks put Fleming on Andy and he(Fleming) stuck to him like paint. Andy didn't get any points and they tied for first place, but Hull had 50 goals to Andy's 28 so he won the trophy and the $1,000."

Fleming was with the Blackhawks the year he checked Bathgate, who now plays for Detroit.
Quote:
Mr. Fleming, assigned to check Gordie Howe, stole the puck in the Red Wings’ end and scored.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote