View Single Post
Old
04-11-2012, 01:40 PM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Papi View Post
I'm pretty open minded when it comes to music really, except when it comes to techno, house, jungle, etc.... ie DJ music... the stuff gets dated so quickly, and there's very little to distinguish one computer programmer, sorry, DJ from another. However, I admit that that may have something to do with my dislike of the genre though.

In all honesty I think techno music (which is what I believe you are referring too), is simply just a more sophisticated version of boy bands in the sense that acts come and go fairly quickly, and relatively few remain relevant (note: becoming a novelty act does not count). Furthermore, it does not lead itself to crossing the generational gap, like most other forms of music can and do. While a Metallica or Neil Young concert will have 16 year olds and 60 year olds, or even an independent punk bands that come through town has people between 16 and late 30s....I just don't see alot of people outside of the 18-25 age bracket really caring about this kind of music. I think its too one-dimensional, and lacks any real message.

Is it successful? Yeah, not denying that. I went to an electronica festival in Australia with Chemical Brothers, and a bunch of others. I gave it a shot, and was pretty bored after half a set. I love seeing live music, but djs behind a computer makes for a pretty lame show. Throw lasers and lightshows, and crank the volume to 11, there's still no direct interaction with a crowd.
EDM has actually been really popular in Europe way before. Having been to Ibiza, I must say that the genre is to a lot more than 25 year olds. EDM has been here for a long time, it's just now starting to grow.

As far as boy bands go, I have to disagree with this as well. It's normal that there's less ''vintage'' producers out there since EDM hasn't been here as long as rock and other genre. But there are still a lot of producers that had success in the past and still do. David Guetta, Benny Benassi, Daft Punk, Armin Van Buuren, Markus Shulz to name a few.

It all comes down to what you like though...I've been to Rock concerts, country and name it. Found it pretty boring because I'm not a big fan. But I've to ALOT of EDM events and loved them all. Again the thing people don't realize is that they don't ''play'' on their computer. That computer we are talking about is their instrument and can be compared to guitar, a piano, etc.

mat_sens is offline   Reply With Quote