View Single Post
Old
04-11-2012, 02:05 PM
neksys

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
As someone who attends some of these clinics as a goalie I agree with the OP's point about adults not wanting to spend an hour doing skating drills. In fact, the one that I attend lists the skills that will be worked on each week and the 1st week that is pretty much all skating is the least attended clinic.

Even though skating is the most important piece of playing hockey, most adults want to work on stick handling, passing, shooting and strategy more than skating. Honestly I think if you ask adults to make them practice tight hockey turns "until they get it", you will have most of them leave.
This hasn't been my experience at all, but I suppose I could just have a unique group.

On the other hand, its easy enough to throw a puck into the mix and call it a stickhandling drill.

Set cones up 20 feet apart (or whatever). Spend a few minutes without the puck getting the stopping on each foot down, then introduce the puck. Cradling the puck when you stop to either side isn't that obvious to many beginners as a skill, and you hit two birds with one stone.

Same with tight turns around the same cones. You have to learn how to keep the puck on the inside your turn. Practice for a few rounds without, then introduce the puck.

By the end, set it up so you have to stop at the right hand cone, skate to the left cone and do a tight turn around it - switch it up the next round.

You've just spent half an hour working on legitimately valuable stickhandling/puck possession skills while, by the way, developing fundamental skating skills.

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote