View Single Post
Old
03-05-2006, 02:38 AM
SanDiegoFlyersFan

vCash: 500
Team lacks talent and skill...

I've been a Flyers fan for over 20 years and have religiously watched and followed this team even though I moved to SoCal almost a decade ago. I've enjoyed reading these boards and have never posted until watching the latest Rangers and Islanders games. Simply put, this team doesn't have enough talent to compete with the top echelon of the NHL. Besides Forsberg (who is honestly starting to show his age), Nitti, Gagne, and Pitkanen, we just have role players and rookies still developing.

It's painful to watch but we might need to rebuild. I'm not one for gutting a team, but it needs to go in a new direction. I love the violence of hockey, but the game has changed. It's a skill game built on speed. It's also an offensive game that demands creativity, not a trapping game as evidenced by Hitch's style. I think Hitch is good coach but he might not be the right coach to overhaul the team.

I have faith that Clarkie can do this through the draft and free agency. I think the key is Snider needs to settle for mediocrity over the next couple of years -- especially if it restores the Flyers to dominance.