View Single Post
Old
04-11-2012, 09:15 PM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
By rebuilding we would miss out on Gorges, Pacioretty, Desharnais, Subban and Price's prime. We already have some good players and decent prospects. All we need is good depth and perhaps a key signing or two.
Ridiculous.

If we were starting from scratch that may be true but not now. Subban is 22 for Pete's sake. We'll miss out on Plekanec's prime but that's what I said would happen three years ago when we went for stupid quick fixes anyway. No point in repeating the errors of the past.

We've got a top 3 this season. If we dealt Pleks for another prospect and drafted high next season we would be in awesome shape going forward. We're not that far away but we've got to be smart and patient about this. In three years time some of the D prospects we've got will be in the lineup. This year's pick will be in the lineup. Price, Subban and Max will be in their prime. We could have a serious contender in as soon as two or three years and it could be a contender for a long time if we do it the right way.

Getting quick fixes now isn't going to do that for us. We'll compete for 8th (as we usually do) and maybe win a playoff round or two. That's it.

One more season of rebuilding. A couple more trades of vets for prospects... that's how far we are from being away from a perpetual contender. That's my opinion anyway and I hope that the new GM sees it the same way. Once we've got those pieces in place THEN we can look at adding FAs. That would be a great situation for us. We're close and I hope we don't screw it up now. And good Lord how stupid is that Ryan McDonnaugh trade looking now?

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote