View Single Post
Old
04-11-2012, 09:26 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I happen to like Philips, but I still don't see the upside that benefits us. Plekanec is on a reasonable contract and if he avoid injury shouldn't drop off until near the end of it. I just can't stand the idea of "giving up" on the short term.
I don't think we're 'giving up' on the short term. There's a tradeoff for the negative, for sure, but the impact of that move is much less than what we gain moving forward.

Say we get one of Phillips or Beach, both of them could join the team as soon as next year. Phillips would probably be a better fit for the top 6, Beach to play complementary role. Sign a veteran center as a stop-gap and play the leadership role like Arnott or Langkow.

The team might not be great next year, but it can make progress. And that progress is not related to Plekanec's presence. He's a great player, he just doesn't have the sort of impact you can't live without. We can tread water with proper team building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Anyway trading veterans after an off year is the best way to get ripped off, I'd rather gamble on guys like Plekanec and Gionta picking things back up next year and go from there.
Usually yes, but with this FA market, you're more likely to rip off people, especially with a guy that has a proven track record.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote