View Single Post
Old
04-12-2012, 07:29 AM
Ola

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Yakupov is not a Rangers type of player.
Definitely (ridiculously) incorrect and one of the most common misunderstandings on this board is definitely in line with the above, in other words that there only is a distinct "type" of player that can play for us.

Quote:
Franchise player? EJ Hradek spoke to a few scouts who saw Yakupov in the OHL playoffs and they were not impressed with him. The Sarnia coach apparently had a bad series. In 2001,Stanislav Chistov was the next Paul Kariya. Smallish player. Great skills. Excellent skater.

Chicago had Duncan Keith and Brent Seabrook in place before Toews and Kane were drafted. The Oilers don't have a Keith or Seabrook on D. That Hawk team in 2010 was loaded. Edmonton needs an entire team. Its easy to finish last or 2nd to last every year.
I definitely agree, from a 1st overall in the draft perspective. I've had little time to follow the undrafted kids lately, but from the players I have seen, it seems like a very weak top 10 draft. This kid Filip Forsberg from Sweden looks great on the ice for example, but has not been able to put it together against men in the 2nd tier league in Sweden -- and normally, a kid like that is glad to go in the top 20 and many have had him in the top 4.

Nail Yakubov is of course a great prospect, but I would definitely label his potential as more of a goto scorer then real franchise player (say a Dats/Toews/Malkin type).

Last edited by Ola: 04-12-2012 at 09:37 AM.