View Single Post
Old
04-12-2012, 08:50 AM
CapnCornelius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizoncol View Post
We're talking here about players who're 20-22 years old. Brule was 18. Again pulled out of nowhere argument.
Age isn't what the issue is. Depth is. If you are playing a glorified AHL player at any age (cough*Aaron Johnson*cough) it is because as a GM you failed to get depth through trades or free agent acquisitions so that player wasn't on your roster.

Quote:
Had no idea defencsive coach in the AHL is a necessity. But I'm glad the Jackets have those good defensive prospect that were able to jump in and help the team to finish at 55%. Back in Russia they've never knew about existence of defensive coaches and Nikitin along with other Russian d-men developed just fine.
Now we went on the non-surge because of John Moore's pathetic plus/minus? Who was the other defensive prospect you were thinking of that helped? Brett Lebda?

You're right, the Jackets have never had problems with developing young players [looks at Steve Mason sitting in the corner crying].

Quote:
Do you even realize there's amateur and professional scouting? What kind of scouting Howson was doing in Edmonton? Could you give me example of any GM assistant scouting juniors leagues? I've never heard of that.
Here's a quote from the Dispatch about our own Chris MacFarland (again, assistant GM) during the courting of Scott Arniel (also known as, yet another huge Howson mistake).

Quote:
Arniel's package was hand-delivered to him in Winnipeg over the weekend by Blue Jackets assistant general manager Chris MacFarland, who is scouting the Memorial Cup in nearby Brandon, Manitoba. Dineen's was mailed.
Why don't you drop the defense of Howson's tenure in Edmonton as it relates to drafting?

Quote:
Based on my personal impression of Atkinson, York, Voracek, Kubalik, Savard, Moore... I listed Voracek cause we've got a decent return for him. Based on comparison to another teams draft results. I brought at least some stats to prove it. And stats don't lie. You still have only your opinion and "last place" primitive argument.
So, getting back to this whole idea that Howson is great at drafting, what would you say if I have a GM who drafted 8 players with 20 games or more of NHL experience during his most recent 5 year span as GM? I assume that GM would be viewed as a better drafter than the likes of Detroit, Chicago, etc.?