View Single Post
Old
04-12-2012, 09:23 AM
Ward Cornell

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksutton9 View Post
Hockey Canada's focus is usually on the Hlinka since it's able to field the country's best team with the CHL's season being done. This allows the summer tournament to provide a better tool for judging talent for the next level event i.e. U-20.

USA Hockey focuses in on the U-18 tournament. The U-18 team that plays in the tournament is mostly made up of the active roster of the U-18 team that plays the regular season schedule in the USHL.

It should be noted that the US U-18 leaves USHL play just to play in this tournament meaning they leave the league as is playoffs or not. The U-17 team picks up the team's absence in the USHL.

I always chuckle at USA Hockey's U-18 "success" although I give them credit for taking full advantage of the situation that the majority of hockey power countries are in i.e. Best U-18 players may be tied up in club league playoffs.
and the biggest difference is the Ivan Hlinka is not a sanctioned IIHF event. Therefore it's chance for a dual-citizen to still play for country before making a lifetime commitment.

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote