View Single Post
Old
04-12-2012, 11:28 AM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
There are panhandlers in EVERY major city.

I honestly think that people who are afraid of downtown and/ or complain about safety etc. either don't really come downtown or live sheltered lives.

I have lived down here for a year now and I absolutely love it. I walk all over day or night and have never felt threatened. I actually had more trouble growing up in St. James than I have ever had downtown. The development is very exciting, and is just more of the stuff that has been happening down here for a few years now.

If you are expecting to go to a downtown where there is no public drunkenness, panhandling or crime, then don't go to ANY downtown in ANY city because it is as much a part of a city's core as the sun is a part of the sky.
For me there's a difference in knowing that we are not the only city with panhandlers and drunks, and ACCEPTING that there is nothing we can do about it.

I can accept that it's not solely a Winnipeg issue. But I cannot accept the "well, it's everywhere else too so there's nothing we can do about it" mentality either.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote