View Single Post
Old
04-12-2012, 01:52 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
Phil Housley's sham of a Norris record is well known. It looks phenomenal on paper, but is based entirely on hockey card stats. I probably would not be comfortable with him on a 2nd pairing in a 32 team ATD.
It seems a bit disingenuous to hold up voting records as a definitive source for defence quality and then throw it out when it doesn't correspond to how it seems a player should be remembered. I'm not saying Housley is anything other than a great offensive player who played questionable defence, but that the voters were aware of that and still valued him highly (although I lean more towards voters having questionable judgement than Housley being ranked highly). Housley's a luxury good and I'd expect Shore or McDonald to double shift late in games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
I do know that in his last few NHL years he was shuttled back and forth and it's impossible to call him one or the other.
That's how it seems to me when I look through Google Archives. He doesn't seem to particularly excel at one or the other so I don't see why he isn't a legit player at either position.

Hedberg is online now   Reply With Quote