View Single Post
Old
03-06-2006, 11:52 AM
Capt Reynolds

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph
Assuming the dollars are reasonable (around 1m, I hope) then I think this is a quality move. If the new GM wants to go in a different direction, then he can simply trade Bates for a pick, I am sure that someone would take him. That's still more than we'd get if we just let him go as a UFA, and the odds of moving him before the deadline are decidedly slim with the team playing well and him being a key part of that.
Let's just hope Milbury doesn't apply the same philosophy to a 'reasonably' signed Kvasha!

There just was no need to make the move now. The new GM could have decided to resign him when he takes over, which should be some time in April and certainly well in advance of July 1. I'm assuming it was done now b/c if Bates did not resign at a reasonable rate Milbury was going to trade him rather than risk losing him for nothing. But even so, Milbury just should not be making a long-term commitment. It's easy to say that the new GM can just trade him for a pick, but that is often easier said than done. In a nutshell this is a gamble -- we're gambling that the new GM wants to keep Bates or that, if he doesn't, that he can move him. I like Bates, but there was no need to take this gamble -- we could have hung onto him and let the new GM make the decision.