Old
04-13-2012, 01:54 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancityluongo View Post
Sorry for not being around, been pretty busy, but whatever. Good luck Billy.

Without reading the thirty or so posts that Billy has made, I think at first glance our advantages are behind the bench, on D, and in team toughness. I'll admit that Philly has better "firepower" on offense, and a better goalie, though. While it's tough to intimidate a team with Gordie Howe, the rest of the roster seems to be pretty soft. This is something that I hope our team exposes.
Soft? Moore was known as a tenacious player to play against, a power forward in every sense of the word except size, Graves was the bodyguard for Messier and a good two-way power forward, Stanfield was physical when he needed to be, and Fleming was a premier agitator that didn't back down from anyone. On defense, all 6 of my defensemen have some physical ability.

Salming:

Quote:
Salming showed his immense skill but it was his willingness to play the rough North American style that had convince the Leafs to take the chance. It turned out to be one of the best risks ever taken.

Time and time again Salming was tested by the NHL's toughest players, especially the Philadelphia Flyers gang of Broad Street Bullies. xxx and xxx laid beatings on him after jumping him in a fight, but Salming held his own. Not only did he stand up for himself, but he was able to dish out a few vicious shots himself. He earned the respect of the Flyers, especially their leader, Bobby Clarke.

"He was tough." admitted Clarke. "And he could use his stick too."

displayed a gritty style of hockey that opened the eyes of Leafs scout Gerry McNamara. Toronto decided to sign Salming following a tour of Europe by the Barrie Flyers. He was signed because of his unwillingness to back down and his scrappy style of play.
Boivin:

Quote:
In fact Tim Horton himself claimed that Boivin was the toughest defenseman to beat in the entire league. This is somewhat amazing considering "Fireplug" stood only 5'8" tall and weighed anywhere from 170-185 pounds

He has also been called the last of the toothrattling body checkers.

a very heavy hitter who was also an excellent defender.

the best body checker of the 1950s and 1960s. Built like a fireplug, Boivin could deliver a devastating hip check

the premier body checker of his era. Tim Horton, one of the most powerful players in hockey, rated Boivin as the toughest defenseman in the league to beat, while Boston GM Lynn Patrick compared his style to that of Eddie Shore. Like Shore, Boivin sometimes would knock down opponents who attempted to stop his rushes.

could deal terrific body checks. He was generally recognized as about the best of all time, and the fans at the Boston Garden loved him.

one of the cleanest and hardest-hitting bodycheckers in hockey history
Goodfellow:

Quote:
Goodfellow, long known as "the best one punch fighter in hockey's history," takes command as the Detroiters against seek to seize the elusive fourth victory to close out the series with the Leafs.

Big Ebbie Goodfellow, the blond Ottawan with the winning smile, shattering body check and world of speed

Ebbie Goodfellow, whose idea of tact in a hockey game was to skate up to an opponent and knock him flat...

He was a hard-nosed player
Reise:

Quote:
I was a hitter. I used to look for people with their head down so I could mail them. So, when they were on the ice, they were looking for me, "is Reise on the ice?" That was a big part of my game, to make sure they remember I'm on the ice.

The younger Reise was a defenseman, and a much-feared one at that...

he made the Second All-Star Team twice with clean, hard-hitting defense. "A rough, tough customer who packs 211 pounds onto a rangy, six-foot frame, Reise has forcibly left the stamp of his improvement all around the NHL

Reise emerged as a thudding bodychecker who played his position like a general operating on the battlefield

A stay-at-home defenseman known for his fierce bodychecks
Larson:

Quote:
A tough, offensive defenseman

“He broke a lot of sticks and a lot of ankles and everything else. He was a tough kid who had a little mean streak in him. He proved that right away his first year.”

The loss of Reed Larson's toughness, character, and explosive shot from the point was too much for the Gophers.
Smith:

Quote:
a key member to a Bruins team that everyone feared to play

one of the toughest defensemen in the league, both physically and ability wise

Smith was regarded as one of the strongest men in the League.
There is no shortage of toughness on my blueline.

I think a lot of focus is on forward line matchups; I'm more interested in defenseman.

Quote:
You do realize Leo Boivin is on your top pairing, right? I can't fathom how you can be comfortable giving him top minutes while wanting to shelter Housley on a third pairing. You also feature the defensive abilities of Reed Larson in your top-6...
I'm well aware. He's a strong stay at home defenseman that is a tenacious hitter. Is he a strength on the first pairing? Certainly not. He's my 4th best defenseman. But, I like to balance my first and second pairings. If I need to, Goodfellow will shift up to play with Salming, leaving Boivin-Reise to be the 2nd pairing. I'm still not sure that he's worse defensively than Horner.

I'd prefer to have Housley on my 3rd pairing because I think that puts him in the best position to succeed. No pressure for him to play defense, he can play offense all he wants and play a lot of PP. See my comments about Housley above. Do you want him facing Babe Dye or Gordie Howe on a consistent basis? I certainly wouldn't. I'm not going to re-type all of my arguments because my rationale for what I said is already found in this thread. You can read them at your convenience.

Last edited by BillyShoe1721: 04-13-2012 at 02:03 AM.
BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote