View Single Post
Old
03-06-2006, 04:18 PM
PECAhead

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by My friend
Now that his $ figure has been revealed, I am still happy about this signing.

With the hypothetical third line for next year I mentioned earlier, I think the key thing is that Bates would be with players who while young, have been lauded for thier work ethic and defensive play. Having Bates as the veteran anchor to that line will go a long way to ensuring that the Isles will get the most out of those 2 players.

That line is far from proven, but it IS CHEAP, FAST physical, and "Dog free" and that means we will have more $$ to fix the top 2 lines, since we were not going to sign a -proven- 3rd line center / winger, for less than $1.2mil...NO WAY. That whole line will cost us about $3 mil total, VERY reasonable, especially cosidering the upside that line has. You also have Colliton in the mix for the 3rd / 4th lines next year.

Also don't minimize the fact that he scored that goal in the playoffs that year. That's more than most can say on this team, and it's a good start. I am also happy that we apear to be rewarding hard-working players with reasonable contracts, and that bodes well for team chemistry.

One side note, If we see Parrish re-sign, who wants to bet that Yashin will not be here, one way or the other, next year?
Just want to go on record that I'm happy about this signing both for length and price. I think it is solid and fair deal.

I also want to say that I agree with many of the above comments. I think Bates is an excellent player to place on a third or fourth line with talented youngster as the "Anchor." Bates has really stepped up with a leadership role this year. I think that is being reflected in this deal.

Also, I truly hope you are right about Parrish and Yashin.