View Single Post
Old
03-06-2006, 04:46 PM
JKP

vCash: 500
Wow, lot of posts to read through....

I generally think this is OK. We'll likely see this is a decent price (1.2 per) for what Bates is bringing, so if the 3 years is the price for a discount, so be it.

A hard working guy with speed that can play the pk will always have some value if all the kids pan out and we want to trade him later.

I have no problems with MM still at the controls if Wang's personally OKing the deals until a new GM is in place. It's Wang's team, it's his money. Having Bates under contract isn't going to scare away any potential GM's.

In fact, having some players with value around will be more valuable to a good GM than cash or cap room, I suspect. Leaving a new GM with just a pile of cash and cap room WILL NOT fix the problems here. They need some spare parts to work with as well.

A final thought, may the timing of this also be so teams dealing with MM at the deadline realize he's still got some power and won't just be out to firesale the impending UFAs? May change the approach some teams take in making us offers...