View Single Post
Old
03-07-2006, 05:07 AM
Capt Reynolds

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph
Actually, we're hoping most of those guys turn out to be better than Bates. But Bates is a good guy to help work those guys in slowly, avoid giving them too much responsibility at once and help ease the transition. If after 1 or 2 years, his job doing that is done, and the kids have proven they're ready we trade him. Or, if the kids bust, we still have him to keep doing what he's doing.
This is actually the best argument I've heard in favor of the signing, Seph. Nokie and Bates can each play C and wing so they can rotate at third line C next year and then you have a good, hard-working vet to help steady the line. Say LW-C-RW of Bergie -- Nokie/Bates -- Bates/Nokie. I like that a lot as our third line. I'm still not wild about the length of the deal, or at MM making commitments on his way out the door, but I will just hope this is it for his signing guys and I'll look forward to what has the makings of a speedy and tenacious (and, yes, even a little chippy!) third line for us next year and keep my fingers crossed about the rest of it.