Thread: KHL Expansion
View Single Post
Old
04-14-2012, 07:32 AM
IJKPrinciple

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Banana View Post
A question for you KHL guys, i really donīt know much about this league. Why are they so eager to get a Swiss/German/Austrian team? Every year i hear rumours about teams going to the KHL.

I just donīt get it. The level of hockey is so far below in those leagues than in the KHL and even if those teams bring big loads of cash to form a solid team they will always be outplayed because they have to dress natives, right?

Also there is no revenue, because hockey is either a too small market (Switzerland and Austria) or gets no attention whatsoever (Germany).

Or are these just rumours and the KHL never really tried to get a team from that area?
It's the "Kontinental Hockey League". Basically expansion into Europe (and Asia) and eventually uniting these 2 continents hockey-wise was the main goal from the beginning. Eventually the goal is to have at least 1 team from every of the top ice hockey markets (Sweden, Finland, Czechia, Slovakia, Germany, Switzerland,...) while the domestic leagues of these countries will be sort of like 2nd Tier to KHL (Russian clubs in KHL have VHL clubs as farms, non-Russian KHL clubs will have the countries' domestic leagues' clubs as farms).