Thread: News Article: Sutter and Flames Part Ways
View Single Post
Old
04-14-2012, 12:52 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
No worries bro, there's alot of **** going on with this team right now and there's no reason why people can't have a healthy debate without flipping their tops on each other. With your first point, I kind of disagree. I think Darryl had alot of freedom in his time here, I say this because he was always one of the most active GM's in the league. He had been on record saying that he always had the owners support in whatever transaction he wanted. This was Darrly's team and he ran it the way he saw fit. With Feaster, this hasn't been quite the same case. Even when Darryl was let go, Feaster was named "in-term" GM. Feaster said he had to put forth a proposal forward to the owners and King for approval in regards to the direction he wanted the team to go in, Sutter never had to do this once. Feaster commented all season about how transactions were going to be made, guys were going to be moved out, and really in the end Bourque was the only guy that was moved. I think deadline day has to be viewed as a failure. I don't argue with your logic about a GM not having complete control (because you are right there), but to me I don't think there is any question that Darryl had more control than Feaster over this team. And I think the reason is because of the way Darryl ran it, is probably why.

Agree 100%. But it is a problem, the fans are the ones making the owners rich and paying the players wages. If they continue ignore the fans wishes, there is going to eventually be a disconnect between our fanbase and the team (and not all teams are ran this way). Look at what happened when Federik was running the Stamps. I'm not saying the Flames owners are anywhere near that level, but it does seem that they are ignoring what the city is asking for and that is a team that is capable of competing for the Cup. This team clearly isn't close.

I think Feaster is doing the very best he can with the cards he has been dealt. And I commend him thus far. He has cut payroll, made the team younger, and kept his word on injecting some youth. With that said, I truly believe (and I am speculating) that Brent left because Feaster relayed to him that certain changes were not going to be made in order to improve this club. I agree of course our owners would want to win a championship, but I don't think they are prepared to do what is necessary in the short term to get there.

This I won't debate with you over. This indeed may be the case, although there is no way for anyone to be certain without inside information. Of course I will always cheer for the Flames, and of course I would ALWAYS prefer to be a fringe playoff team over having no team. And let me be clear, I DO NOT want a full scale rebuild either. I think given the circumstances that Iginla should remain a Flame and resign an extension. I do however think this team needs major fundamental change to completely reshape the look of this franchise. Again, I would keep Iginla (comparable to Alfy) and probably Cammy, Bouwmeester and Glencross and trade everyone else away except our young players for draft picks and prospects. All the in between fillers on our roster can be replaced thru FA. Next year may be painful, but I think the year after this team would be competing for a playoff spot. This city has lots of money to be a cap team, we have some good young players coming up ready for roles, I see reason why we can't turn this around in 2-3 seasons.

I'm not attacking you at all either, its healthy to have debate and open discussion. I totally respect you and inparticular your last post. You made a ton of valid and good points. I'm not a conspiracy theorist either lol, but I do think the owners need to let a GM run a team and stay out of his business. I think they should be consulted before a major tranaction is going to be made for their approval, but they should trust the GM's vision of how to run the team, otherwise they should find someone else.
All good points. I think you and I have more things in common than not as to how this team should move going forward, so I'm not going to rebuttle every little difference we have. And again, I used your post as more of a catalyst to address a floating idea around here than to actually rebuttle your personal ideas. You always have consistent and logical posts, so I respectfully apologize for what probably appeared to be a viscous attack on your post, when I should have been rebuttling all other posts that I was addrressing.

I too think that certain people who are qualified and experienced should not have a noose around their neck while doing their job, as people need the room to their job effectively. But Sutter was here for 7 years, and although I don't completely remember all 7 years, I do seem to remember him being more active and inpatient during the later years here was here. Maybe Feaster will be given the same level of trust and freedom once he displays consistency and earns some seniority.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote