View Single Post
Old
04-14-2012, 08:37 PM
CupofOil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by soothsayer View Post
But he isn't NOT working. By that I mean he isn't the reason we are losing games. He is still productive offensively. Whether there are better options available (key word) is a whole different story.
He's not the reason that the team is winning games either in the rare occasion when they do win. The problem with Gagner is that he's perfectly mediocre and he always has been and for a skilled player like him who has gotten spoonfed minutes since he came into the NHL and who has played with highly skilled player at times, you would figure that he would break 50 pts just once. It's been 4 full seasons now.

I agree that there is no reason to trade him now unless we bring back an upgrade at center because we don't have anybody on the roster or in the pipeline to replace him next season but he is not a long term solution here. This team will never be a contender with him as the #2C especially considering the type of forwards surrounding him in the top 6. If we had a Getzlaf type of center or players like Perry, Hartnell or Simmonds on the wing then i suppose that Gagner could work at center for a while but that's not the case so he'll need to be moved eventually.