View Single Post
Old
04-15-2012, 05:28 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
The problem is, people don't seem to understand that such a concept could destroy European hockey if it came to be. Making a European elite league could destroy domestic hockey, given motivation to develop talent all but disappears for the majority. I mean if the Czech league loses it's elite teams and is left with the remains, the remains will absolutely disintegrate.

All you are doing is making a mini NHL, which is odd considering so many Europeans complain about the NHL poaching talent in the first place. You create one strong league, but the infrastructure of other leagues is destroyed.

I just don't really understand or see the true logic in this by the KHL. Surely there are more important things they could be doing within Russian hockey? Adding teams from all over Europe may make a stronger "domestic" league, but it serves no help in improving the Russian development system and bring up new young players. You'd create even more of a Russian elite, with many traditional clubs no longer being able to be part of the KHL (unless you are going to expand it to like 50-60 teams), roster spots become much tighter for young Russian players etc.

All this does is absolute cull the lower tiers of hockey infrastructure. Having the elite is all well and good, but hockey development won't work with just an elite and domestically shattered leagues.
Why are you assuming that the lower teams would disappear if the top 1-2 teams left? I don't see the connection.

If anything, rather than wanting to leave to the NHL, local development will grow with players wanting to represent their nation's KHL team rather than move to North America to play in the AHL or NHL there. Having a viable alternative tot he NHL within Europe, IMO, is a great thing.