View Single Post
Old
03-08-2006, 09:22 AM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by facts

It also frees up Mike Richards of that responsibility and lets him get a chance to develop his much undervalued offensive game. We all know that Mike is great defensively, but this kid can score when given the opportunity and can generate his own offense. He reminds me so much of Doug Gilmour that I think it would be a shame to waste Richards' talents by being a checker alone.

I just don't know what would become of Carter then.
What are you talking about? Richards should have his role limited to checker so that he can succeed. A rookie should never be put in a role where he could fail and offense should never be a high expectation. Richards missed two breakaways against the Habs and you saw the shootout. Carter would have buried at least 1 of those because he is more offensively orientated. Hitch rewards guys by giving them extra responsible ice- ironic as Carter never sees the same amount of ice intially as Richards- because we are constanly killing penalties and when we aren't Forsberg needs the ice. You want undervalued offense look no further than Carter.
Carter turns the puck over too much... he also needs to just generally get stronger on the puck. He has a ton of skill, which is why he's produced and is given time on the PP unit... but he's not a safe player to have out on the ice for 15 minutes of 5 on 5 yet. Need to get him in the weight room with Gagne this offseason, since Gagne clearly spent the lockout developing a much better physical frame to play in this league.

You hit the nail on the head as well... Carter gets decent ice-time given that he NEVER is out on the PK and is on a team that is as deep as ours at Center.