View Single Post
Old
04-15-2012, 06:16 PM
Tafkak

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Tafkak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
IMO, when Fleury senses that his D can't protect him in a series, his brain disappears. That's the difference between him and an elite minder. When they get hung out to try the buckle down and find ways to carry the team despite ****** D. When he's confident in his D, he plays confident and cocky. When the D starts standing around game after game, he implodes.

That said I am not ready to give up on him. If we retool the D significantly and he does this again then all bets are off.
I don't think that's so much his mental stuff CV, that's physical ability. A goalie can only be expected to come up with so many jaw dropping saves per year, and this D has used up it's quota. We cannot expect a goalie to come up with top caliber saves night in and night out. The fact that everyone is down on Fleury for not coming up with a bunch of quality saves, just goes to show how bad this D has been.

NOW, before everyone jumps on me, this does not excuse Fleury from some pitiful goals, bad rebound control, and questionable angles. I think the Pen's do need to look to the draft this year and take a goalie with a pick or two. If you look down our depth chart, we are empty on goalies. We have Thiessen (who has shown he is not capable of NHL play) and Killeen (who I'm iffy on). There's no one that is capable of backing up Fleury or a future #1 starter. The Pen's need to get on the wagon and start grooming a successor/future replacement for MAF, especially with the way things are continuing to progress.