View Single Post
Old
11-20-2003, 11:32 AM
Rails

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rails
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan10
Ok, so I was looking at our prospect ranking and saw that we were 13th overall in terms of prospects. I'm not sure about everyone else on the board, but I think that we have to be in the top 5 in terms of our prospects. If they are counting players in the NHL, then Pitkanen has to be considered one of the top rookies in the league right now. Actually, he might be the best first year player right now (I actually think Jason King in Vancouver is the best right now, but some will argue Joni has a more difficult position to play and has done a fabulous job adjusting). As well, we have Seidenberg, Woywitka, and Vandermeer all playing in the AHL and we have Picard, Ruggeri, and Korovkin all playing very well in junior. David Tremblay and Rejean Beauchemin have both been outstanding between the pipes this year in junior and should be well acclimated to playing in the A with very little adjustment time to North America (I'm still convinced that Niitymaki should have started out in the ECHL first and dominate there before going to the A). As for our forwards, Pat Sharpe has been awesome with the Phantoms and Mike Richards has been excellent for the Kitchener Rangers. As for Jeff Carter, he has been dynamite for the Soo and has shown that he was worth the high draft choice Philly used on him. Sorry GKJ, I still think he was the better player than Dustin Brown. However, the player I'm most impressed with has been Stefan Ruzicka. I think we have our next Mark Recchi in him and he has a little bit of a 'tude as well, something this team sorely lacks. My only concern right now is what happened to Ryan Potulny, but I think he'll be ok as long as he doesn't push things and listens to what doctors tell him. I still don't know what to think of Rick Kozak other than it might have been a waste of a pick and that Corey Locke of Ottawa should have been chosen instead. Colin Fraser will become the next Tyson Nash, and that's a good thing. Every team needs a pest. The only thing that worries me is some of our European prospects. I'm still convinced that Drozdetsky should have come over here by now. The fact that no one from the Flyers even attempted to sign him shows me that they might not be sold on him afterall and just might let him stay over in Europe. Timonen should have been signed and be playing in the A right now. Once again, Flyers management needs to be blamed on this one. I don't ever think Kopecky or Barulin will ever make an impact and will probably just stay overseas. I think it's time that we should seriously look at staying away from some of the European content for the next little while. Obviously, if the player is dynamite then we take them. However, I have a funny feeling that out of all the Europeans we drafted, only Pitkanen and Somik are going to make names for themselves. Actually, I think Ruzicka will be fine, but I think coming over to North America to play junior hockey is his saving grace.
THose rankings at #13 still have Pavel Brendl included, so don't read into it.