View Single Post
Old
04-16-2012, 06:32 AM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck26 View Post
I think that has something to do with the serpentine draft format: 1-2-3-4-5-5-4-3-2-1-1-2-3-4-5, etc ...

You could debate "talent plateaus" all day ... i.e.: the idea that Orr, Gretzky, Howe and Lemieux are all close, then there's a drop-off to Richard, Harvey and Beliveau.

Look at Orr + an Henri Richard-esque 60th best player compared to a 28/33 combination like Lidstrom / Trottier / Fetisov. It's been a few years since I was in one of these, so maybe my rankings are off, but most of the time I'd rather have the latter.
And yet Howe has been on two winners.

In think there is generally a plateau dropoff around the 70-75 range, so having a top pick, a late 2nd rounder and then an early 3rd rounder in a 32 team draft is actually an excellent way to start a team from a value perspective.

I have no idea why Orr's teams have never won one of these things. Probably just chance. He has been to at least one final that I know of. Gretzky and Mario are another matter; one problem with these two is that by the time your second pick comes up (unless you trade up), all of the good #1 defensemen are generally gone, which tends to make life pretty hard, though it's not insurmountable.

Also, picking at the beginnings/ends of rounds makes it generally harder to manuever through trades because of the bigger gaps between picks. All three of Orr, Gretzky and Lemieux are on strong teams this year, so maybe the curse will finally be broken.

Sturminator is offline   Reply With Quote