View Single Post
Old
04-16-2012, 09:59 AM
Tiranis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NucksOnly View Post
Coaching is huge and to minimize it is just plain ignorant. Look at what Sutter and Maclean have done for their perspective teams.

As for looking for a new coach you'd probably start with Mac T then I would look at Detroit assistants. They seem to pump out decent amount of head coaches around the league.

Who are the upcoming coaches in AHL or NHL assistants?
Lard_Lad mentioned an interesting candidate and IMO he seems like a good option for the head coach gig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad View Post
There's an interesting guy named Jon Cooper that was just named AHL coach of the year. Unusual resume, from Prince George originally, played junior at Notre Dame in Saskatchewan, then Division III US college hockey. Became a lawyer, but stayed around hockey and wound up as coach/GM of the St. Louis NAHL team, had a great record there and then moved on to Green Bay in the USHL, and then Steve Yzerman grabbed him to run Tampa's AHL team two years ago. This year, they were the AHL regular season champions by a huge margin, 14 points up on second place. 28 (!) consecutive wins to end the season.

He's only 44, and probably the least-experienced serious candidate out there. But he's demonstrated pretty emphatically that he can coach in the pros, and is a pretty big departure from the usual retread choices. If we change coaches, I hope Gillis gives him some consideration, assuming Yzerman lets us talk to him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Here's a little profile on him: http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...ng-jon-cooper/

I would hope he at least gets an interview to see where his head is at. Obviously a risk but sounds interesting.