View Single Post
Old
11-20-2003, 01:17 PM
copperandblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
I really don't get these kinda comments. All along it's been pointed to what Lowe and Comrie/Winter have said in the media as a reference.
Well that is part of my point. There is a lot of BS to filter through in trying to make sense of the situation and it's up to the individual to figure out what makes the most sense. I was just asking the question because I found the comment about Staios feeling like the team has a commitment to winning interesting.

Going back to the trade deadline when Niinnimaa and Carter were traded, there were a lot (or seemed to be) of guys that really questioned that very thing with this organization. Marchant was clearly the most vocal about it.

Based on that, and drawing from my own experiences playing hockey, I always found that there was that one guy the team looked to that had that little extra bit of talent (up till now it has generally been regarded that Comrie was that guy on the Oilers) and when he was in the line up the team overall felt better about our chances.

Well obviously Comrie is not going to be back and yet Staios still mentioned that he feels the team has a commitment to winning. Putting the two things together made me wonder if Comrie is viewed as importantly in the room as the public generally saw him outside of it.

Quote:
The only times players have spoken, they have been supportive of their teammate and hoped he'd be back soon. I highly doubt that's any different now.
Possibly. It's also possible the players are simply paying lip service because that is what is expected of them as a card carrying NHLPA member, isn't it?

It's kind of along the same lines as a GM saying there is no way he is making a trade, a day before he announces a big deal.

Or an owner saying that he is maintaining his commitment to the GM, while he is quietly interviewing a replacement.

Quote:
They want to win, and realize that their best chance is with him in the lineup.
And this is what I am asking. If they realize their best chance of winning is with Comrie in the line up, and clearly Comrie will never be playing here again, then doesn't that make you wonder about the "commitment to winning" quote that Staios made?

Quote:
Also, I would venture to say that a fair number of them would probably have scoffed at the qualifying offer that was tendered as well.
Perhaps, even probable but what does that have to do with what I asked.

Quote:
This has gone from analysis of a situation to looking for reasons to dislike someone. That way, people feel better about themselves if someone like a trade happens. Not the way I do things, but hey, whatever keeps ya sane.......
Actually it isn't simply looking for a reason to dislike someone or softening the blow when the trade happens.

This has been going on for 2 months now, I expect that 9 out of 10 people out there have formed their opinions, positive or negative, a while ago. I am also sure that everyone has accepted the fact that he will be traded eventually.

This is simply speculating on where the problems lie with Comrie and the Oilers and the question I posed was just another possible spin on it.