Old
04-17-2012, 09:57 AM
Winger98
powers combined

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
i was able to talk to some guys who were a bit deeper into scouting back at his draft and there were concerns about silfverberg's offensive abilities. he's a pretty wellrounded player, but at least some thought he might be too average in everything to become useful.
his development the past two seasons is impressive.
I think this is overlooked so often when we try to go back and say we should have picked this guy over that guy. Unless they're coming out of left field (like Datsyuk), the scouts have seen most of these guys, they have an idea of what they can do, but there is still a lot of guess work involved, and just blind chance. Sometimes, like Silfverberg, a guy surprises. Other times, like Ferraro, things come up a bit short or different than expected.

With that said, I don't think we can complain about Ferraro too much. He got hit by constant injuries, which couldn't have done much good for his development, but he's looking like a future NHLer again in GR. Granted, not the second line goal scoring wing we may have hoped for, but still an NHLer. If he becomes an every day player, that's still a pretty good turn out and there is still value in that.