View Single Post
Old
04-17-2012, 11:05 AM
hbk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokeCheck101 View Post
69.4 Contact Outside the Goal Crease - If an attacking player initiates any contact with a goalkeeper, other than incidental contact, while the goalkeeper is outside his goal crease, and a goal is scored, the goal will be disallowed.

A goalkeeper is not “fair game” just because he is outside the goal crease. The appropriate penalty should be assessed in every case where an attacking player makes unnecessary contact with the goalkeeper. However, incidental contact will be permitted when the goalkeeper is in the act of playing the puck outside his goal crease provided the attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid such unnecessary contact.

~~ Two elements here: 1) Initiating contact, 2) Unnecessary contact. Shaw did not initiate contact, the contact was incidental. Both Smith and Shaw were in the act of make a play on/or for the puck. The question then becomes was the contact unnecessary? Well in what sense? Shaw has the right to make a play for the puck, Smith is in the act of completing a pass and his stick is coming up... Shaw is not braced to intentionally hit Smith and flinches up as Smith's stick is coming through, as would any player. Now from the strong side view, yes I would agree it is shoulder to chin but when I look at the other views, particularly an overhead view it looks like helmet to helmet. There is no shoulder thrust into Smith, no elbow and Shaw is not bracing or focusing on Smith. Shaw has every right to make a play for the puck. It's an interesting situation which is complicated by the fact that Smith finished the game. Again, I would seriously question the leadership and medical staff of the Coyotes if they left him in knowing he was injured. Folks, anyone that's been concussed knows that it is very difficult to do basic motor skills tasks after having your brain slammed into your skull. There's headaches, nausea, vomiting, balance issues. He could not have gone on to have the game he did if he was concussed. Even if the argument was that it takes time for the symptons to develop. No way. He played 40+ mins after that of professional level hockey. His lateral movement was un-affected, his positioning was solid and he made some key saves requiring quick reflex. If it is a neck strain or something along those lines, yes perhaps he could play through that. A concussion, no and shame on the staff for not protecting their player if he was exhibiting concussion "like" symptons.
Unless you are a doctor I doubt your opinion on concussions and how soon symptoms set in is worth anything to be honest.

I honestly don't care though. If it means anything to you I will call on a public shaming to the Coyote medical crew.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote