View Single Post
Old
04-17-2012, 12:17 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
He disappeared for basically an entire season (last half of last season, and the first half of this one)

I don't think we have anything but a good third liner who's playing his ass off. I really can't expect him to keep up this production the entire playoffs, let alone an entire season.

It amuses me people think him suddenly showing up justifies his atrocious first half of the season. You can't produce like he was and get the ice time he was as well and not deserve criticism. I like Boyle and think he's a great glue guy for this team, but let's not pretend he's anything more than he is. Just ride the hot streak while it lasts and enjoy it.
I agree. I've always liked the guy and I understand that the teammates love him, but he played like a run of the mill 4th liner for much of the first half of the season. It has nothing to do with effort. He always looked like he was trying, but he reverted back to his old ways of not using his size effectively and he tried sniping the puck rather than driving to the net, dislodging defenders, and giving goaltenders fits simply by standing in front of them. About the only thing he did well consistently for the entire season was kill penalties.

It's great that he randomly scored 3 goals in the last three games, but he still spent half the season playing pretty unremarkably. I'm glad he "got it" in the last few weeks of the season.

I don't think it's a major coincidence, by the way, that Boyle's play improved shortly after he began spending more time reunited with Ruslan Fedotenko. When the 26-22-8 line is on the ice, it's Fedotenko that makes more little plays to keep pucks in the zone and keep other teams pinned in the corners than anyone else.

In the future, I'd like to see him be the 4th line center, a role he's better suited for, with Anisimov centering the third line. That way whatever offensive production Boyle chips in will be a bonus rather than hoping for random opportunities that he's only going to get several times a season.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote