View Single Post
Old
04-17-2012, 11:44 AM
BaconStrips

vCash: 500
Man, this is crazy. I learnt how to shoot when I was 4 or 5 and played hockey until I was 16. After that, lots of ball hockey and occasional ice time. After high school, just ball hockey every so often. I shoot in earnest now every couple of years. I still have a decent shot without thinking about it. I have never thought to break it down. HOWEVER, these videos remind of whatever happens when I try to learn a new skill as an adult. From throwing a Frisbee to learning how to snatch, I watch videos and constantly break things down and am never satisfied. Everything seems to come so slowly to me; yet, shooting is natural. I had always made the correlation in the back of my mind (between age of motor skill and ease of learning), but never put two and two together.

I guess it goes to show you the importance of reinforcing motor patterns when young. Also, when you are a kid, you have hours to "practice." I know I would spend all afternoon outside shooting around because it was fun and I didn't have to worry about cooking food, making money, looking after kids, and so forth.

Sorry to derail the thread, I just thought it was interesting.

BaconStrips is offline   Reply With Quote