View Single Post
Old
04-17-2012, 12:54 PM
newfr4u

vCash: 500
BaconS, thanks for posting that. as far as i can tell, you read a bunch of books (most of which i've already read, including Eric Cressey's, and most of which are NOT for novice sports), and decided to create a program out of all of them. ok more power to you.

it's a mishmash that's not completely terrible, as it does involve all the same lifts, but you have multiple variations of squats scheduled on the same day, cleans and deadlifts on the same day, different presses on the same day. that's a more advanced program than novice. it adds volume and prevents you from going up in weight as fast. novices make faster progress if they focus on strength (measured as 1RPM) than volume. this is not outdated knowledge, it's the way it is. sorry you don't see it that way. maybe try reading one book at a time.

bulk/cut is also not outdated. is extreme bulk then extreme cut like the bodybuilders do for everyone? of course not. however, it does not negate the laws of thermodynamics. to add mass (muscle and fat alike), you will need to eat above your maintenance. to lose mass (muscle and fat alike), you need to eat below your maintenance. if your goal is to stay at the same weight or lose it, you obviously have to adjust how much you eat. however, losing weight is not the point of starting strength. its caloric recommendations are to promote linear novice strength gains for as long as possible. that alone is the biggest factor in making novices more athletic. if you feel like you need to cut fat and add conditioning, go right ahead. just realize that it will slow your strength gains. as far as i can remember, i did not recommend anyone go balls to the wall crazy with calories (like GOMAD). however, Jarick is still at a weight where he can safely add 20 lbs if it means he is stronger. and so am I. (on this note: i am going to go drink a quart of chocolate milk right now).

Quote:
I am also opposed to the belief that Starting Strength is the best option for the novice. It isn't. It is an option, one that I have found, only really works best for the completely untrained individual whose only goal is to get as strong as possible. I got strong with it, but I also gained bodyfat. Now working with others, I have tried out other methodologies and found that, through experience, it is possible to get similar or better gains with other programs/diets - ESPECIALLY IF YOU DISAGREE WITH BULKING AND CUTTING. Starting Strength also has no room for SPORT SPECIFIC training and injury prevention. What's the point of deadlifting 565 pounds if you are just going to tear an ACL as soon as you hit the ice for the nooner shinny game?
and this is just pure drivel. if you want to do sports with SS, you are allowed to. it is only the principles of training economy (and hormones that you are on) that dictate how much training you can do and still increase your strength. also name one person who tore an acl in a shinny game after deadlifting 565? gaining strength not only increases your muscles, but also strengthens your ligaments. squats and deadlifts being compound lifts hit all the major ligaments in your posterior chain. why do you think sport specific training is somehow better for preventing acl tears?

mugs, switching up is mostly bro-science. when my body gets used to the squat, i just throw another 10 lbs on the bar. that keeps my muscles sufficiently confused. but then again, maybe i am just dumb enough not to be bored by SS.

Last edited by newfr4u: 04-17-2012 at 01:26 PM.
newfr4u is offline   Reply With Quote