View Single Post
Old
04-17-2012, 02:02 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Yeah, well my point was that if he has a ppg season + another steady year, both as a junior in a men's league, his production isn't the problem. If the rest of his game was up to par with his production he would've been one of the best NHL prospects playing in Europe.

Or you can spin it the other way and say that he needs to produce more to make up for the rest of his game. Both angles would be correct.

I think the idea of him becoming a more complete player is more important than being so good offensively that he can outweight be a mediocre skater and bad defensively.
I think you were missing my point was that Hudler was very explosive offensively and continued on a upward trajectory without taking steps back like Pulkkinen. It wasn't his production just pointing out I think he is a little over-hyped offensively. I see him as a pass first player with a terrific shot. He does struggle to use it, and quite frankly his skating is flat out bad. I realize he can keep developing but comparing him to Hudler, I just don't buy right now. He is a boom or bust player and there are things to like. But to bag on Hudler's skills while praising a player that at best remains a long-shot to accomplish many of the things that Jiri Hudler has accomplished was what I was taking umbrage with.

He is talented but I will be curious to see how he does in Grand Rapids when he comes over. He is not going straight on the team like Jarnkrok when he comes over, I just don't see that happening. Also, keep in mind Hudler was a point per game player in the minors, was a similar point per game player in Russia and Czech leagues and has now three times gone over 50 points in the NHL. I know everyone around the Wings hates him but he remains actually a pretty lofty comparison for a prospect to achieve especially one with huge question marks about how his game will transition to North America.