View Single Post
Old
04-17-2012, 06:41 PM
NewHabsEra*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Hello, Jackets fan coming in peace ... I live in Spokane and regularly see Patrick Holland in action, so here are some thoughts:

Holland showed plenty of potential as a rookie in the WHL, prior to being selected by Calgary. He played a depth role for the Ams that year, but clearly displayed skill (to go with his size) throughout that season. Really, solid scouting by the Flames, as Holland stepped right up last year and became one of the most dangerous forwards in the league, which has carried on to him leading the league in assists this year.

He spent most of his time this year on a line with overagers Adam Hughesman (UFA), and Brenden Shinnimin (PHX), all three of whom wound up in the top-10 in scoring in the league. Holland was clearly the setup man for these guys, yet he also quarterbacked the team's top powerplay unit from the blueline, and showcased his physical play as well, clearing room for the two smaller forwards.

As I mentioned, he's a big kid; makes very smart reads and good passes, has soft hands and can stickhandle extremely well (as you saw on his highlight reel from last night). He has a good (if underrated) shot, and seems to know when to use the shot rather than move the puck ... though he is a pass first player.

From last night's game, I thought he was the best player on the ice for either team, maybe with the exception of Spokane's goaltender, Eric Williams. Gordie Howe hattrick and all! Holland elevates his game when it matters, and is really a lethal player from just about anywhere in the offensive zone. I really have enjoyed watching this kid play the last few years, as most of the time, he simply stands out above the rest. You guys might have a real steal of a prospect here ... take it from a fan of his team's biggest rival.

I do some amateur scouting on the side, and recently wrote up a blurb on the league's top-10 scorers, which obviously includes Holland.

http://www.thescoutingreport.org/off...s-supreme-whl/

http://www.thescoutingreport.org/blu...s-top-scorers/

Cheers!
Great great to hear!! Thx for the report!!