View Single Post
Old
04-17-2012, 08:51 PM
Velociraptor

vCash: 500
Goaltending

Quote:
A big save here and there? that's like talking about a team who will have 80 shots a game, and the goaltender makes a desperation save once every little while. Parent holds a flattering advantage over Lumley, which to reiterate, is the biggest advantage for either team in any category in this series. He has the capability to steal a game in this series, Parent was absolute money in the playoffs, and was the best goaltender in the world during his insurmountable two-year peak. Lumley did win a cup and was pretty efficient in Detroit's 1950 victory. Percy LeSueur is a better comparison for Lumley than Bernie Parent is.
Quote:
Mind you, Parent > Lumley is far and away the biggest advantage in the series, there's absolutely no parity in goaltending here.
Need I say more.

Moderate Advantage: Australia

Defense

First Pairings

I won't talk much about the first pairings, Montreal's pairing is the better top pairing, but Potvin and Baun are not to be underestimated. A legitimate shutdown pairing that includes the best player in the series, who is also a big time offensive threat, I think the pairing is a lot closer than it is on paper. Baun will create a lot of problems for any wingers coming down the right side.

Second Pairings

Quote:
I still don't understand this... Why is Carlyle so out of place next to Doug Mohns? I'd rather just have you read the biographies I've provided for you rather than copy and paste quotes, but since you seem to bypass those, I'll prove that Mohns is the stay-at-home defenseman on this unit, which makes it far from a mess. Baun is under-appreciated, and I think is a below-average, but not out of place #2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoH
he worked as a stay-at-home defender who added stability and leadership to the young lineups
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmohns.com
...he was a physical player.
For any skeptics of this pairing, it is really not that confusing. Mohns assumes the defensive role, whereas the less dimensional Carlyle is the breakout passer and the offensive defenseman.

I think Boyle has earned his keep onto a second pairing, but is still kind of underwhelming. He's not big nor strong, and will have a difficult time handling some of the Roos' players.

I just don't think Beck is a strong #4 in a 32-team draft, he was a lot like Carlyle in some ways, except what he lacked offensively he made up for physically and defensively. It's kind of ridiculous that he was called better than Baun, when Beck is not a great shutdown defenseman. And I would believe that Boyle is not going to be the defensive component of the pairing, so like Mohns, it will rest on Beck's shoulders.

Advantage: Australia

Third Pairings

I said I'm really not a fan of Montreal's defensive depth past Kelly and Howell, and this is just an underwhelming third pairing. Stackhouse is a decent offensive defenseman, but he was non-existent in terms of physical play and not a reputable defensive rearguard. Macoun was a pretty good stay-at-home defenseman who was a step below Stackhouse offensively, but not terrible. I don't think this line has any shutdown potential, and will have a really difficult time against the Roos' forwards.

Morrow is a solid #5, a good defensive defenseman. Leduc is unspectacular #6, but was very physically and could score goals. This unit shouldn't be intimidated by the Canadiens forwards.

Advantage: Australia

Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote