View Single Post
Old
04-17-2012, 10:09 PM
WingsFan734

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
Well, at least your legendary, highly respected team hasn't become a laughing stock by firing key personnel just hours before games, pulling players off the ice during a match against your rivals so they can be traded and doing their level best to come off as 2nd rate in just about everything they do. One of our highest points of the year was beating your guys, not a great deal more to celebrate for Habs fans.

Out of interest, you mention potentially getting rid of some older players. Do you feel it's the older guys letting the side down the most, the younger guys not being ready, a lack of any attribute in particular or a combination of factors that is affecting Detroit? I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of someone who watches them constantly.
I'll tell you what I feel it is:

The wings are fine for regular season play. They have a ton of talent, but the players are smaller and they are not hitters. I don't care if they throw hits, they're small players and it's not the same as a 230lb player throwing a hit.

In my view, as we have evolved since the lockout and new CBA, the game has gotten faster and if you don't have size and speed today, you can have all the talent in the world but it will get trumped. The wings don't currently have the speed to recover from mistakes. Look what happened tonight. On the rare chance they had a defensive breakdown, the Preds took advantage on that puck and headed to the net. The wings scrambled to get back but they can't outskate anyone. The one player that can on this team is injured in Helm.

Our star players like Datsyuk and Zetterberg are 30-32 years old now. They're fine for another couple years but they're no spring chickens, and they're SMALL.

Lidstrom, god I love him, but the game is passing him now, and only in the last 2 years can I say that. This year they have dropped his ice time quite a bit. he's not killing penalties anymore,but yet we are paying him what top D make.

Homer should go to heaven for the beatings he's taken in his career. But he's getting slower and I think he just turned 38 yrs old.

The young talent on this team is the future, but they are ALL SMALL. We have to go out and buy some young, big, fast players to help balance this team out.

And this starts with the GM not adjusting this team in the last 3 years. This is how we got beat 2 years ago, last year, and now this year. Last couple years it was SJ, who in my view has more raw talent than the Preds, but they also had speed and size, and just wore the wings down.

The style the preds are playing, the wings in my opinion cannot currently adapt to, because we don't have the speed to adapt to it. The only way to get through what the Preds are doing shy of lucky bounces, is to out hustle them, and we just don't have the personnel to do it.