View Single Post
Old
04-18-2012, 12:07 PM
BaconStrips

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I'd appreciate you sticking around New, learned quite a bit and it's good to have a couple guys who know what they're talking about bouncing ideas around.

I should have said, in my opinion, Starting Strength would be a poor workout program for a high-level athlete traning for a specific sport. It's a beginner's strength program, just like it says it is.

I think it's a perfect program for the prototypical "skinny kid" who desperately needs to add weight and strength. This would be your 16, 17, 18 year old hockey player in the summer. The program has you doing 200 reps of squats and 100 reps of the other lifts every two weeks. So you learn the lifts and commit them to muscle memory. SS + GOMAD and you pack on 30 pounds in 2-3 months and double your lifts. From there you'd have to start the late-summer conditioning and clean up the diet and you'll likely end up with 15+ pounds of muscle and a hell of a lot more strength (not just in terms of raw lifts and your main muscles, but core strength, stabilizers, etc).

Wendler's 5/3/1 seems more like an intermediate program to me, once you've learned the lifts and achieved some strength, you cycle deloading with progressive resistance. When you hit that level of strength, you can't squat 3x a week and at those weights you're not knocking out sets quickly, you need quite a bit of rest. The prescription for the accessory exercises on those days makes sense, but only for a powerlifter or serious athlete. The guys in the gym 4-5 days a week on up. They need to hit the muscles from a variety of angles to build up the strength to increase the lifts. That's when it gets into advanced territory.

Like I said, I'm doing SS and having great success adding strength and learning the lifts. And having some fun too (less fun as the weights get harder of course). I don't think I have the patience, time, or energy to move into a 5/3/1 system or working out 3x a week long term. In a few months, I'll be moving, likely into a place where I won't be able to bring my squat rack and bench, and won't have the time to work out 3x a week. That's why I'm trying to build up some strength now (not unreal amounts), so I can try and maintain it somewhat.

So at that time, I'll have to by necessity come up with a new workout that will be more dumbbell and bodyweight based, and single-leg stuff would make sense. I'll follow up on some of those recommendations you made and probably hit you up with some questions.
I would watch the Boyle video on the squat. He specifically says that young athletes should not be squatting. While I don't go as far as to agree that banning the movement entirely is necessary, his argument certainly is eye-opening.

I am actually weaker now in the deadlift and low back back squat (bench and high bar are higher) then when I injured myself doing SS/athletics. However, my core is much stronger. I was all legs, and was going through the movements without properly utilizing my core. This is possible for some on the back squat (I was a goalie in my youth and have no mobility issues and can go ass to grass without thinking about it) and way too common on the dead lift. Especially for those working out alone. You don't think your back is rounding or your lumbar curve is failing, but it might be. The best way to prevent this is through a strong core. If you don't do it naturally engage it, it is something that needs to be taught. I like front squats and single leg stuff for this. Along with gymnastics movements (planks, hollow holds, headstand holds, ring holds, jack knives, and so forth). I found the hollow hold and handstand pushups really helped me learn to lock my core for the deadlift.

I find that 5/3/1 takes less time than SS. It can also easily be combined into a 2x a week template. If you find yourself only able to get to the gym twice a week, I strongly recommend the e-book that breaks down how to use it twice a week. There are likely better options than either for the 2x a week athlete, but they would be assessed on a case by case basis.

BaconStrips is offline   Reply With Quote