View Single Post
Old
04-18-2012, 01:47 PM
newfr4u

vCash: 500
wow at that wall of text.

BaconStrips,

Mike Boyle never says that two-legged work ISN"T a basic building block of his program. he endorses both. he has some problems with the squat (which to me are not well thought-out). By doing single-leg, he has moved the weakest link of the posterior chain from the low back to the one leg, and started doing more reps at lower weight. If low back is the weak link, you should probably try to train it to take higher loads, not lower loads.

you know why he recommends obese people to do two-legged squats? because those are easier and more mechanically efficient!!! they would be easier for a non-obese person too, and you can nail the form and load it with weight better!

i agree that intermediate and advanced program CAN be done by a beginner. but they are not in any way more optimal for novies than doing starting strength based on metrics like the rate of your strength gains, adjusted for your amount of calories. once your starting strength gains slow, you SHOULD move to those intermediate programs.

SS also doesn't advocate deadlifting 3 times a week. we DL every other workout, which is either once or twice a week depending on the week. So a 30-lbs gain is 6 DL workouts at 5-lb per workout, or 11-12 total workouts, and at 3 workouts per week, that's 4 weeks. it is very doable.

Look at Kelly's mobilitywod FAQ. (a blog i follow religiously btw). notice how he says that lacrosse balls among the bare minimum of equipment you need to start his program. He endorses it, he does it, he does not consider it any less important than a full mobility program. He in fact includes ball rolling and foam rolling in a full mobility program.

i believe SMR with a lacrosse ball and some mobility work, in addition to learning the lifts and/or movements like skating, is sufficient to ensure an athlete is moving properly. many athletes have survived doing a lot less. not many have survived without gaining at least non-embarrassing levels of strength. that alone tells me that strength is a bigger factor in being prepared for athletics.

Jarick,

it is completely upto you when you want to stop starting strength and start something intermediate. if you find that you skate too much and eat too little to make gains on SS, go ahead and try something intermediate. but generally, guys your size can safely progress until they are at least 180-190. ever see those heavier fast guys on the ice? sure, the weight slows them down a little, but they more than make up for it with their added strength.

yes, starting strength is not appropriate for people who are past novice gains. Most kids, no matter their performance level, haven't exhausted those gains, so it makes sense they simply do that, and try to eat as much as they can while they can get away with that. their bodies grow pretty damn naturally.

i am now officially out of this thread.

newfr4u is offline   Reply With Quote