Thread: Hamhuis update
View Single Post
Old
11-20-2003, 08:43 PM
tulsytrid1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok
I WOULD NOT trade for a guy like Satan at this point. I especially wouldn't give up Hamhuis.

The NHL is going to have an unheard of number of free agents next year. Not only are there a ton of guys set to become UFAs, but there is going to be a HUGE amount of players not given qualifying offers.

If/When a salary cap is put in place, the teams that would normally be "bidding" for these free agents will be trying to cut costs left and right.

With guys like Bondra, Palfy, Recchi, Damhpoose, Selanee, Kariya, Glen Murray, Primeau, ETC all set to become free agents, we'd be better of keeping Hamhuis and spending Satan's 5 million on one of the afore mentioned. I am willing to bet that a whole slew of players will not be given qualifying offers, including the likes of Jason Allison, Jason Arnott, Adam Deadmarsh, Jeff O'neil, ETC.

I think if we are going to move an asset like Hamhuis (or Legwand) we need to target a young talented scorer like a Havlat, Gagne, Nagy, Marleau, ETC. Satan is 29, makes five million, is rather inconsistent, and there's a decent chance that he wont be given a qualifying offer next year (not sure if he's RFA). It's just doesn't make sense from asset and money management standpoint.
Ya what he said.