Thread: TSN 1260: What's going on? Part 3
View Single Post
Old
04-19-2012, 01:08 AM
hfboardsuser

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeakOil View Post
That's still something that anyone even vaguely familiar with the CBA would instantly realize is a no-go.
Sure, but again, we all make mistakes. I asked Portzline in October how James Wisniewski was faring in his first few games as a Jacket; I'd forgotten he'd been suspended in pre-season. That happens, and we pay the immediate price for it. If you're at the bar with your friends or whatever and you screw up, your friends might laugh but you'd all move on. Radio folks hear it and often right away- if not from a guest, from listeners like you.

It's also important to remember that Corey is often prepping for these interviews in far-flung locales, with a million things on the go; he might be in Moose Jaw or wherever, trying to come up with Blue Jays questions while he's watching NHL scores and in the midst of prepping for PBP.

Quote:
It's actually sad, I'm sure half the posters here could do a better job and would be more knowledgeable then half the guys actually in the radio.
Knowledge is different from hosting ability. Believe me, I've been on both sides of the desk. When you're a guest, you get all day- sometimes days- to research for your five or ten or fifteen minutes of fame. It's a great feeling to knock a segment like that out of the park. But as a guest, you're not worried about your voice, your diction, the other guests or time constraints. The host is the glue that holds all of that together. It's a difficult, difficult job and it should be no surprise that some of the most successful (Nielson, Rishaug, Millard, LT) in our market have some kind of radio/media training. Guy is the rare exception to that and it's a testament to his work ethic.