View Single Post
Old
04-19-2012, 10:43 AM
BaconStrips

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotte Marauder View Post
There are an awful lot of guys out there trying to reinvent the wheel. Not much new out there if you strip away the dogma. Why get all complicated?

http://danjohn.net/the-overhead-squat-article/
Good article. 2 issues though.
1: The overhead squat is my favorite lift. However, it is also the lift most people have trouble with since it requires the ability to engage the core, the ability to push the shoulders to the ears and properly lock out, and the ability to get below parrel. It is an exercise I have a hard time recomending to someone who I haven't seen move before.

2: Keeping it simple is a bit of a misnomer. For many people, keeping it simple, means different things. For instance, in that article Dan John talks about only training 3x a week. This has been the simple answer for many - especially Americans - for years. However, keeping it simple for the Bulgarians and Russians it means something else entirely. It meant 4 to 6x a week. Another issue is linear progression. Many, like Rippetoe and Wendler stress it as a simple basic for the beginner. However, others, like Charles Poliquin have a different view.

It isn't so much that it is over complicated, it is that there are a variety of simple views that contradict one another.

BaconStrips is offline   Reply With Quote