View Single Post
Old
04-19-2012, 12:44 PM
Doomsday Device

Location: Gary Coleman's Finishing School for Doomsday Devices
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
Yes, there are also thousands who score a good amount in juniors and still don't make it.

My point is ... you can't disregard a prospect simply because he isn't scoring, especially when his projected upside is a physical, grinding forward that possesses a decent finishing touch. I prefer to listen to those who actually watch him and tell me that he has potential rather than looking at a stat sheet and simply saying "nah"
I'm not saying disregard him completely. I'm saying history shows that 1st rounders who score as poorly as Wilson have not been successful NHLers.

I only went to the last 15 years but if you look at the last 30 years of draft history for forwards with less than 0.7 PPG you'll find 18 players drafted in the top 30. 0 of those 18 became top 9 forwards. The only 2 successes were Brent Burns and Steve Staios, who both became defenceman. Now maybe Wilson will break this 0% success rate over the last 30 years. But you're taking a big gamble with a fairly valuable asset in a 1st round pick.

Those same scouts, who actually watched him play, said the same things about numerous players before him in the 1st round and were wrong every single time.

I also have seen Wilson play and I also like his tools but those odds are poor enough, I wouldn't my team taking prior to the 2nd round.

Last edited by Doomsday Device: 04-19-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Doomsday Device is offline   Reply With Quote