View Single Post
Old
04-19-2012, 11:56 PM
Et le But

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Thicke View Post
Thanks for that input I will give less stats and more specifics and detail of the players for the Canadiens prospects and the articles. It will still have to get past the editor and that's out of my hands.

Here's why Ellis is the best prospect right now and this doesn't mean he will necessarily be better than Tinordi or Beaulieu as they improve on their weakness. A good team defense has to have players with different strengths paired properly together. I would never put Beaulieu and PK Subban together, just too offensive minded and I am not getting the max offense out of my backend group, they would need more defensive defensemen with them (Gorges and Tinordi).

Ellis is just better all-rounded right now where the others have deficiencies in their games. Beaulieu is not strong positionally in his own zone, gets caught puck watching when he hasn't got the puck and at times gets too deep in the offensive zone which will give him problems in the NHL even with his excellent skating ability. Tinordi has skating issues which are always the cases for the big men because he has a tendency to get to upright with not enough leg bend causing him balance issues. He hasn't learned to lower his base by widening his stance to get better leverage on the smaller players and has to stay away from taking himself way out of position just to make the big hit, very similar to PK Subban, Nathan Beaulieu and Darren Dietz. It's just maturity and coaching that is needed to correct those issues. Ellis has good solid base whether skating forward or backwards and his knee flex is in the prefect position about 2-3 inches in front of his skate boot which gives better balance and maximum power out of the thigh thrust. He has already developed both sides of his body, meaning he can pivot to either side going backwards and doesn't have to turn his back to the oncoming forward which allows a coach to deploy Ellis on left of the blueline or his natural right side without worry. Right now he positioning is excellent but his ability to read the forward's weakness to turn quickly left or right and moving himself to force the oncoming forward away from his strong side helps him control the player. His ability to angle off the onrushing forward is solid and he rarely makes the mistake of giving up the middle ice when defending coming into his defensive zone. He had to play in all situations with very little help in Cape Breton so he can easily switch to offense while knowing if the risks are too high. He has excellent footwork from backwards to forward for quick offensive transition and has the ability to make a quick hard accurate pass while moving backwards, only Beaulieu is better at this than Ellis.

See what I mean about too much information for the articles and I only wanted to answer quickly. I hope this helps answer some questions. I am going to try to answer other comments as well tomorrow.
Solid analysis.

And yeah, that's the thing, Tinordi and Beaulieu have things that are more difficult to learn which is why they have higher ceilings (size, strength, toughness for Tinordi, skating and puck skill for Beaulieu) but what makes Ellis such a surprise is just how solid he already is at all areas of the game. I can see why you wouldn't want to include everything in the article, but I think people would be happy with even one or two more sentences about Ellis' positioning sense and mobility and all areas of play.

Other than that it's fine as an overview and it's nice to hear some more about some of the lesser known, longshot prospects.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote