View Single Post
Old
04-20-2012, 07:32 AM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhockey193195 View Post
if you honestly believe that a player cannot improve or become more consistent after the age of 26, then I don't know what to tell you.

Because aside from this season, he has improved his offensive and defensive game every single season he's been in the NHL. He's had ONE off year. There are only a handful of NHL players in history who have not had off years, and their names are Gretzky, Orr, Lemieux, Howe, Bossy, etc.

I've thrown this around before, and I'll do it again just because I think it makes a good point:

AGE GP G A P
20 3 2 1 3
21 31 4 8 12
22 48 11 9 20
23 15 0 7 7
24 54 14 21 35
25 67 21 30 51
26 41 6 5 11

Seeing those stats, I can just imagine some of you guys screaming "That player should be traded", and "he's too inconsistent: he dropped from 51 points to 11, he is what he is, and he regressed badly this past year, he'll never amount to anything more." Funny thing is, those are the stats of Jean Ratelle.

Dubinsky is not half the player that Ratelle is, nor do I think he ever will be, but there are countless players who turned it on in their mid-to-late twenties after inconsistent starts to their careers where you always thought they could give more (if you really want me to start a list of players, I'll do it). The point I'm making is that it's ridiculous to write off Dubinsky because of one bad year at the age of 25, after several seasons of inconsistent but promising player. Also, some of you guys would've been calling for Ratelle to be traded after the 1966-67 season, which I think is hysterical.
Great post. Again is there a deal out there somewhere to move Dubinsky? Sure--but I'm not in any rush to move him. Dubinsky's been with us 5 years now and this is the first years he's produced under 40 points. So one could say that this is an outlier year for him and expect he'll be back in the 45-50 point range again next year but even if not--and there are reasons he might not that have more to do with the competition for ice time at the center and left wing positions-his overall game is a huge asset to the team.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote