Old
04-20-2012, 10:47 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
3rd Pairings

Larson-Smith vs. Engblom-Green

Larson and Engblom is an interesting comparison. I took Reed significantly earlier, which was admittedly a bit of a mistake on my part. But, his offense, especially at ES, is very valuable here. Engblom has the AS and Norris record that Larson doesn't have though. Engblom is the better all around player, but if I'm given the choice of who to have on my 3rd pairing, I'm still taking Larson. Even though Engblom might be the better all around player. Larson's offense is so good for a 3rd pairing defenseman.

Ted Green is a great asset to have on a 3rd pairing. He'd be fine as a #4 defenseman in a 32 team draft. Green's Norris record is 3, 7, 9 and Smith's is 6, 8, 11 with the 11th being one point. Advantage Green. All star records are:

Green-3, 6, 6, 10
Smith-6, 6, 9, 17, 18*, 19, 23

*-one point

These guys are actually more similar than they seem. Green gets the decision here because of a better all star record, but the difference between these two is definitely not 217 picks. I think it's more of a matter of Smith deserves to move up, rather than Green moving down. One think to note is that the Boston coaches trusted Dallas Smith more on the PK than they did Ted Green. Also, Smith was trusted at ES a bit more than Green was. Here are their ES TOI finishes for the team when we have stats:

Green-1, 1, 2, 6
Smith-1, 1, 2, 3

Ted Green didn't play in the 69-70 season when the Bruins won the cup for whatever reason. But, when they both played in 71-72, Smith was the #1 defenseman at ES and Green was 6th, and Boston won the cup. Definitely something to think about that Smith was looked upon as being more reliable on the PK, and at ES. Green has better offensively, but again, I think Orr's tendencies held back Smith's offensive ability. Smith couldn't commit in the offensive zone and pinch because Orr was always pinching. Green was on a separate pairing, allowing him to be the guy that pinched. I'll still give Green a small advantage because of voting record and offense, but I think the fact that Smith was seen as more reliable at ES and on the PK really says something.

3rd pairings are an advantage to Chicago. Philadelphia's group will bring more offense due to the prowess of Larson, but his defensive shortcomings are what prevent our pairing from being better both offensively and defensively. But, don't be fooled. The difference between Ted Green and Dallas Smith is not that large.

Last edited by BillyShoe1721: 04-20-2012 at 10:56 AM.
BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote