View Single Post
Old
04-20-2012, 11:34 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreBlood View Post
Just read this entire thread. Excellent breakdown, zip. Listening to the interview, I think your post here is spot on.

On the Briere comments, isn't it just as likely that both Drury AND Briere would have remained in Blue and Gold had Pegula owned the team then? So of course he would say Danny would still be here, and I agree with him.

However, that doesn't mean that Golisano, Quinn, Regier, and Ruff all agreed that keeping Drury was priority #1. Briere was a cap casualty when he didn't have to be, and I believe R&R were in on that regrettable decision.
http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-22579091.html

Quote:
A few weeks ago, Larry Quinn went to dinner with Neil Smith and told him he was in the market for a center. He handed the former Rangers general manager a list of seven or eight available names.

"I like him," Smith said, pointing to the name Chris Drury. "He's a difference-maker. He's a player. The Rangers will probably get him."

Smith was wrong about one thing. The Rangers didn't get him. Thursday, the Sabres acquired Drury and center Steve Begin from the Calgary Flames in a three-way deal that cost them two defensemen -- rugged veteran Rhett Warrener and prospect Keith Ballard.
Ever since that happened, there was a belief that Drury was "Quinn's guy" and Briere was more of "Regier's guy" given how each guy came to become members of the Sabres.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Regier wanted to keep Briere, but Quinn overrulled him.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote